FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > Linux Microsoft Poll

Linux - Microsoft - Both
Linux Love
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Linux Hate
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Whatever
62%
 62%  [ 10 ]
Microsoft Love
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Microsoft Hate
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Unrealized

Linux Microsoft Poll  Reply with quote  

Just a barometer to see how everyone feels on this:

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:27 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
HaVoK
spamlinkcount++

I take the middle ground. I love open source, and I use to run a dual boot, but for home applications, there really isnt a direct need for it. Windows is the preferd operating system of the masses for more reasons than it is just there.. it really is an ease of use and compatability issue. I think both OS's have there place, microsoft being a better home user os for people who really dont want to take the time and learn something new, and for ease of installing new products and updating, and I think any unix based program is much better from a tech stand point due to the unlimited amount of configing you can do with just a basic understanding of programing and how easy it is to set it up to the application you need it for. I love being able to change settings in the linix kernel overiding what the gui was programed. Smile thats why I liked suse so much, it had a decent gui, and it was very easy to modify.. to bad that it merged w/ Novell.. the evilest of all tech operating systems IMO....

“Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made,” Otto von Bismarck

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:37 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Unrealized

I agree.

First Linux I tried was SuSe blah

Xandros is cool but they tried to lock it down config wise.

I like Mandrake the best myself

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:02 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MooseDog
Hay, look over their!

Linux is cool, but not for gaming. So I run XP Pro. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind running Linux; probably RH9.

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:08 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Unrealized

There was hope a few years ago with Linux and gaming but it just isn't going to happen.

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:10 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Killaholic
2173 Posts and still a shitty title!

I run a dual boot. XP Pro and Mandrake.

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:43 pm  View user's profile Send private message
blu
Step on my cubes.

I love linux for just fucking around with my computer. However, I don't have too much free time for that. I have to use Windows for programming for work, so I end up only using windows.

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:05 pm  View user's profile Send private message
ephil
I freelance in my pants.

Linux is my career... So... Standpoint:

Windows = Games
Linux = Productivity

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:59 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Sagz
Jaeger Bomb!

[SF]-ephil wrote: Linux is my career... So... Standpoint:

Windows = Games
Linux = Productivity

agreed. All our servers @ work are Linux but I wouldn't want to support Linux on the desktop right now.

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:04 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Unrealized

Read an article recently that gave figures stating that it is more expensive to run Linux at this point than 2000 server if you take into account the amount of admin it takes

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ephil
I freelance in my pants.

I would have to disagree with that statement... Part of my job is maintaining Linux servers for the company... I say "part" cuz there isn't much to do for them.. You set them up to do thier function... If they screw up, it most likely that someone screwed it up... So, don't touch them and they will do their job very well...

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:09 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Exactly. I have a Linux mail relay at work that I haven't touched in months. It's been up for over 400 days straight.

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:38 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Unrealized

It surprised me as well but they had the figures. I think they were saying that you have to pay higher salaries for linux admins maybe

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ephil
I freelance in my pants.

Please tell that to my boss... Smile

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:00 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Bungle
I rubbed it with a soft towel...

I am not a tech/ server guru type, but in my own experience Linux has been very stable. Win XP is prettier though which for some reason I am more drawn to as a desktop environment. I also play way to many games and reliant on Dreamweaver and Photoshop for website design hobby. I would not reccomend Linux to anyone accept the techie type willing to learn how to troubleshoot and run services.

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:31 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
ephil
I freelance in my pants.

The pretty part is a huge issue IMO... Many people go for looks before they go for functionality or stability. [Non-techie type people]

Linux has come a long way in the GUI environment... But not enough to be really special compaired to todays MS desktops... There is a group, can't think of who it is right now, that is working on a whole new GUI environment that looks and acts pretty cool...

Now the problem is that many people in Linux are too used to XFree86 with Gnome or KDE to switch to a completely new GUI...

As for games, it is possible, but it costs money Sad

http://www.transgaming.com/

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:15 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

someone needs to build a kernel and a gui that resembles osX for the mac. i'd consider using it over windows.

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:39 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
HaVoK
spamlinkcount++

ahh. the KDE gui of suse was my fav gui... dont really know why... I just liked the straight forward cool blue they had everything in.. I dont know.... I musta had something for the back ground animated gif of the lizzard and all the lizard style icons in it Smile Ohh well...

“Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made,” Otto von Bismarck

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:35 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: