FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > tornado 5/20/13 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
blu
Step on my cubes.

ViperX wrote: How big is that shelter blu if you dont mind me asking??

That is the Protector (15 person) model, which is 6'10"x6'10"x6'8". A neat thing about those shelters is that you can buy them in almost any size, can expand them by buying more panels, etc. You can also remove any panel from the inside to get out if the door is blocked. Obviously, our intention was to create a fun place to hang out with the dogs and kids and play, instead of making it a stressful experience. My feeling has been that a shelter is only as effective as how much you are willing to use it, so the more comfortable a shelter is, the more effective it will be.

Post Wed May 29, 2013 5:27 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Nice, I like the decor.

Post Wed May 29, 2013 6:51 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

I went with the F5 Storm Shelters 3x7 unit.

I liked the lid and the latch.

Post Wed May 29, 2013 7:28 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

LightningCrash wrote: I went with the F5 Storm Shelters 3x7 unit.

I liked the lid and the latch.

No information on cost in the spreadsheet for that, pretty good deal? How long is the waiting list?

Post Thu May 30, 2013 4:29 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash

Shinare wrote:
No information on cost in the spreadsheet for that, pretty good deal? How long is the waiting list?

$2800 for the 3x7 unit, coming July 10.
They're all around 2800 for the 3x7 sizes.

Post Thu May 30, 2013 8:12 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Blu, how have you felt about your above ground? I have the room in my garage for one, though I don't want to give up the floor space. I'm confident they'll hold out against 2x4s at high velocity, but i'm concerned about cars and other very heavy objects that get picked up and moved around. I definitely like the ease of use, storage potential, and expandability of the bolt together systems.

Post Thu May 30, 2013 11:33 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

I would just put an inground on one of you 10 garages 7........just put it between car bays so you don't have to push a car with no engine out of the way to get in it. Smile

Post Fri May 31, 2013 12:40 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
blu
Step on my cubes.

Sevnn wrote: Blu, how have you felt about your above ground? I have the room in my garage for one, though I don't want to give up the floor space. I'm confident they'll hold out against 2x4s at high velocity, but i'm concerned about cars and other very heavy objects that get picked up and moved around. I definitely like the ease of use, storage potential, and expandability of the bolt together systems.

That is a really tough decision, of course. There are advantages and disadvantages that have to be weighed. Obviously, a below ground is safer for flying debris, but the above ground has several safety benefits as well. It should stand up to house debris, suction, etc. I do not have a clue what would happen if a car was thrown at it at high speeds. I don't think a car being pushed into it would ever be an issue, and I feel (hope?) as long as a car, even at high speeds, went through the house or into a car in our garage, it is unlikely to be dangerous. It is extremely well constructed of heavy steel, and bolted through the slab 3 times per panel (that is 27 bolts for my size shelter). It would be significantly more difficult to be trapped vs. a below ground, because I can unbolt the entire thing from the inside one panel at a time. It would be impossible to be flooded while in it, which can be a real concern with the amount of rain we have been getting lately along with the tornadoes (and my house and garage location with respect to the rest of the neighborhood).

To me, the deciding factor was "will I get in it, stay in it, and be willing to ride out the storm." I have lived in houses with below ground shelters before, and they are always end up as homes for spiders, damp, dark, cramped places. Even when storms were headed our way, we tended to not take shelter. This means, to me, that the below ground shelter was not very effective, because I wasn't in it. I can also fit a large wheelchair through the door, which I have personally been in a situation that I was unable to take shelter in a below ground for that reason before.

I have 2 small kids, and a 70+lb dog (usually 2). It is literally no effort to get my dog, kids, and wife to go hang out in the shelter for 30 minutes plus. My 3 year old wants to just hang out in it sometimes with no storms, it is truly a party room as brules put it. Ours is much more effective than a below ground to me, in that regards, because we use it without a 2nd thought. When we lose satellite and a tornado is in the area, we just go to the shelter and have internet, antenna tv, and radio. We can sit in there comfortably and hang out and watch the news. We even have a cot for the kids if it is during the night. We have basically everything we need in there, and do not even hesitate to put something in there.

We do not really lose a lot of storage space, because we just store stuff on top of the shelter. They claim you could store bricks up to the ceiling on top without any issue. We store half of our camping stuff in there, ropes, bungees, flashlights, fans, chairs, tools, toilets, pretty much anything that can hang on the walls or might be useful in an emergency. Hell, I put carpet in it. I will probably even bolt a safe to the floor in there.

Like I said, the deciding factor for us was "will we be in it when the time comes?" I have no question that we will all be comfortably sitting in there with additional protection (helmets, eyes, ears) when the time comes that we truly need to be. I have very little doubt that we will not be trapped in it after a major tornado, which is probably more of a concern for those of us who live out of town than those of you who live in town.

I don't think it's an easy decision, but I think it was the right decision for us.

Post Fri May 31, 2013 11:37 am  View user's profile Send private message
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Great reply Blu, thanks for the insight.

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:09 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

I don't understand the logic, or lack there of, of people who put inground outdoor shelters a long way from their house in the middle of the yard. Makes no sense that you may have to traverse a large outdoor space, in the dark, in a thunderstorm, at night with a tornado bearing down. Put is inside of right off the back porch so that as blue said, you will be in it when the time comes WITH TIME TO SPARE!

Also what is interesting is all of these old houses from the early 1900's virtually ALL had cellars/storm shelters. I think tornado alley states should put in new building codes to call for all new houses to have them. Seems silly not to.

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:03 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LightningCrash

I've seen a lot of the older homes in Ardmore and Durant but I really don't remember any of them having cellars.

If you live on I-44 I think you should definitely have a storm shelter. Even a cursory risk analysis makes that one a win. I disagree on the building code though.

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:10 am  View user's profile Send private message
Menos
Broke My Labia

The house I grew up in had a cellar but I wouldn't call it a storm shelter. It was over by 13th and Drexel in OKC. Built in 1903. It would have been better than nothing but if a storm had taken the house it would have just exposed the cellar.

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:34 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

Yes but your new home will have a proper shelter! Smile

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:22 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page Previous  1, 2

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: