FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Another 4 Ghz. thread

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
GeneticWeapon
Cum back to EVE!

Another 4 Ghz. thread  Reply with quote  

Armed with a new bios update for my motherboard and a bit of patience, I hit 4.2 Ghz on my cpu. Although it passed stress tests running at that speed, it felt kinda weird, like maybe a bit laggy(maybe I'm just trippin') so I backed it down to 4 Ghz and left it there. Idle temp is 34 degrees as I write this.....woot.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1194701

Post Tue May 18, 2010 8:25 pm  View user's profile Send private message
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

Nice man....my motherboard is holding me back from the big 4 oh mark.....but I am content for now with 3.8. Laughing

But again nice work....especially with a quad!

Post Tue May 18, 2010 10:16 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Nice work sir! You might also play around with turning HyperThreading off. At a minimum it will drop your temps between 5-10C and at best it will let you push the chip another few hundred MHz.

Unless you're encoding video or chain rar'ing stuff you shouldn't notice any loss in performance from the 4 missing threads.

Post Wed May 19, 2010 12:14 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
GeneticWeapon
Cum back to EVE!

Thanks for the kind words guys....and about hyperthreading, I read a review a while back that claimed it lowered fps in some game benchmarks. I'm going to try turning it off to see if my temps drop.

That little i5 750 would really make a great gaming cpu me thinks.

Post Wed May 19, 2010 5:13 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

GeneticWeapon wrote: Thanks for the kind words guys....and about hyperthreading, I read a review a while back that claimed it lowered fps in some game benchmarks. I'm going to try turning it off to see if my temps drop.

Yes, it lowers benchmarks but not real world performance. Turning off HyperThreading in 3DMark Vantage for example will drop my score between 2-4000 points primarily because of PhysX and the fact that it can take advantage of all of those threads. However, there is no game out that can use 8 threads except for Battlefield Bad Company 2 and it will sit at around 30% utilization on 4 cores with all my settings maxed at 2560x1600.

Basically, synthetic benchmarks put up somewhat useless numbers compared to real world gaming and have for awhile unfortunately. After Mad Onion and Aquamark sold there hasn't been a REAL game benchmark to use Sad

Post Wed May 19, 2010 7:08 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
GeneticWeapon
Cum back to EVE!

I ran 3DMark06 on this system when I first built it, and at stock speeds I scored like 13,XXXish (GTX260 Rolling Eyes )

Tonight I put my cpu back to 4.2Ghz and and overclocked my graphics card to it's limits(more than 100Mhz over stock.) I ran 3DMark06 again and got 20571.....that's a pretty huge increase garnered from overclocking, but it only makes me wish I had one of your video cards Laughing

I've been gaming and stress testing my cpu at this speed all evening, and feel pretty confident in it's stability. I did goose the voltage up a notch and it raised my temps a couple degree's.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=13930920

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1196488

Post Wed May 19, 2010 9:16 pm  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: