FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Classifieds > WTB: CPU Fan and Soundcard

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

WTB: CPU Fan and Soundcard  Reply with quote  

COD: BO is killing my system. I've had pretty good luck with O/C'ing my Core 2 Duo but its on the stock cooler and is getting into the 60's. A better cooler would help. Does anyone have a 775 compatible cooler that is gathering dust?

The biggest issue with performance seems to be sound related. I'm running an onboard SoundMax HD chip and thought a standalone card might help. If you have something that can handle its own processing requirements and is PCI or PCI/e let me know.

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

CoD:BO performance issues are NOT related to the power of your system!

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:05 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

What Nikola said. It IS related to sound, but it's the way the game works, not your hardware. I have a discrete card and still have the same stuttering issues everyone else does.

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:11 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I replaced the sound card in my desktop at work, and BO works so much better. I have 0 stuttering now, where I'd get a quarter second stutter every 10 seconds or so before replacing my sound card. So yeah, sound card is apparently an issue. I got the Asus Xonar for $30 bucks. I think I'm going to pick one up for my home PC too, as this sound card honestly sounds better than my realtec onboard sound. I've even noticed a CPU usage drop in BO. I was sitting at 95% roughly and am now down to 60%, just from a soundcard swap.

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:14 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

so the sound card was making your game stutter? or just the sound stutter?
SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Menos
Broke My Labia

Sound makes the actual game stutter. If you are having stuttering problems in BO, disable your soundcard in Device Manager and reboot. Poof! no more stuttering.

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:41 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

With my card disabled in the system manager (and before the O/C) BO was fluid, no stutter. I know there are performance issues in the game, but I've suspected sound issues for probably 2 years now. Almost ever game that has ever had stutter for me (can't think of which offhand but its 5+) has shown the stutter when something intensive happens in the sound.

I'm curious about the cheap rocketfish at BB or possible a Creative. I'm thinking of buying/trying/returning if it doesn't solve the problem. Before I go that route I wondered if someone had a spare laying around.

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Anreill wrote: I have a discrete card and still have the same stuttering issues everyone else does.

Your gameplay is WAY smoother than mine. Mine is playable now with sound enabled but JUST barely. What sound card do you have?

detox wrote: so the sound card was making your game stutter? or just the sound stutter?

The entire game stutters. It could be anywhere between a few milliseconds to half of a second. Definitely enough to get you killed anytime something big happens in the game. Someone sets off a grenade near me, it stutters. Someone kills someone near me, it stutters. Someone sneezes near me, it stutters.

Post Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:00 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

I told a few other friends about this and 2 of them tossed old sound cards in and instantly fixed their systems. wow what a crazy issue.
SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:06 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: