FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Need help deciding on new TV.....

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Brules
M F C E O

Need help deciding on new TV.....  Reply with quote  

Ok so I got a PS3 finally and I want to get HD on my Sat service as well.

I don't want a ginormohuge TV as my Armoir in bedroom wont hold bigger than a 32" TV.

So my question really is this: Whats better - a 32" 1080P 60hz LCD or a 26" 720p LED LCD?

To my eye the LED TV's look much much better, but will I ever notice the lack of 1080 P?

I am limiting myself to about $300 since I am a cash only mofo.

Will be mainly for PS3 gaming and watching boob tube / HD TV. I dont see myself being a Blue Ray watcher as the only movies we seem to buy are for the kids.

Advice?

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:27 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Go get one from walmart.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:29 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

Oh and whats the 60hz and 120hz thing all about?

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:33 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

It's how much it hurts your brain to watch. 120hz is the best for frying cells.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:53 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

It's my rule of thumb that if the TV isn't 40" or bigger, 1080p is negligible unless you plan to use the TV as a monitor up close. THX recommends a MUCH closer sitting distance to LCD/Plasma HD displays than older CRT screens both because they're easier on your eyes and because the higher definition lets you get closer to the screen without seeing individual pixels.

I have a 46" 1080p LCD and THX recommended optimal viewing distance is 4'6" away. 50" Plasma is 5' away, 32" screen would be 3'2" away, etc. But these distances aren't going to be realistically achieved in a living room or bedroom unless they're sitting on a desk.

As far as LED backlighting vs. cathode goes. Most sets you won't see the difference unless you go to the higher end models with localized dimming so that they can beat the black levels of even plasma displays, but only in areas with alot of dark pixels. It's really just preference so go check them out before you decide one way or the other.

Brules wrote: Oh and whats the 60hz and 120hz thing all about?

60Hz = refreshes the screen from buffer memory 60 times per second.

120hz = refreshes the screen from buffer memory 60 times per second and inbetween each of those refreshes it creates a blurry amalgam of the current and next frame to create the illusion of a smoother picture.

In real monitors this is not the case, specifically monitors that advertise themselves as 3D Vision capable. They actually do refresh 120 times per second. In TVs it's crap half the time and kind of neat half the time. What really sets 120hz TV sets apart is that they are usually higher end models and so have better image quality as well as the pseudo-frames.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:53 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Do you plan on placing the TV at a height where children can touch?

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:54 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

They are 10 and 6 years old so not worried about that too much......So I would probbaly be just fine then with a 32" 1080p 60 hz.....since i am not a TV snob?

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:04 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I've always been a huge fan of Samsung for HD LCD TV's. To my eyes there is none better. I have a 720p 32" LCD by Olevia in my bedroom because at the time they were the cheapest that this cheapass could find and still have a watchable picture. I don't mind the 720p at all, especially for the bedroom, but I must say that 1080p gaming on the PS3 on a Samsung 52" 1080p LCD is just freakin awesome, so if you can get a descent picture quality 1080p I'd say it might be worth it just for the PS3 goodness. But having said that you may be able to "get away with" 720p on a smaller TV.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:10 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Well the 1080p's are pretty affordable in 32"....roughly $300-$350 right now for pretty decent ones.

Thanks guys!

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Keep in mind that more than 90% of PS3 games are still 720p. Alot fewer on 360. I think it's safe to say that ANY cross-platform game will be 720p on both consoles outside of FFXIII which is 1080p on PS3 and like 540p on 360. The PS3 itself does not do any upscaling of resolution on games that are lower than 1080p, it's in the developer's hands to do that. So almost all PS3 games run at 720p even on a 1080p TV.

At 32" and several feet of distance you probably won't be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p except with text on a desktop.

1080p Playstation 3 Games
--------------------------
1942: Joint Strike
Bejeweled 2
Blast Factor
Calling All Cars
Comet Crash
Disgaea 3
echocrome
Elefunk
Everyday Shooter
Fat Princess
Fifa Street 3
Final Fantasy XIII
fl0w
Full Auto 2: Battlelines
Go! Sudoku
High Velocity Bowling
Linger in Shadows
Locoroco Cocoreccho
Lumines Supernova
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
NBA Street Homecourt
Pixeljunk Eden
Pixeljunk Monsters
Pixeljunk Racers
Piyotama
Ridge Racer 7
Rocketmen Axis of Evil
The Last Guy
Virtua Tennis 3
Wolf of the Battlefield Commando 3

1080p Xbox 360 Games
--------------------------
Boogie Bunnies
Fifa Street 3
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
NBA Street Homecourt
Pinball FX
Virtua Tennis 3

I agree with what Shinare said about Samsung LCDs right now. I have seen several Bravia's that match the Samsung models, but on the whole Samsung is the best right now to my eyes and that is what I own.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:31 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Will new and future PS3 tiltes be more and more 1080p though? I think I will just go 1080p and be done with it, 60hz and LED if I can find a well priced one.....

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:20 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I would have to argue that the list presented of available 1080p games is at least one game shy of completely accurate. I know this because I bought Blur and it most definitely is 1080p. linkage

I am inclined to believe that there are more games available in 1080p than that list purports.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:42 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

It's probably 2-3 months behind on newer games, but the list is accurate for games older than that.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:03 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Brules wrote: They are 10 and 6 years old so not worried about that too much......So I would probbaly be just fine then with a 32" 1080p 60 hz.....since i am not a TV snob?

You might consider a TV with a glass screen, I know it increases glare, but it will help protect the display from finger damage. Even kids as old as 10 bang toys against the TV when spongebob is on. I have seen it with my own eyes.

I was installing a TV at a client's house. I get everything done, the client has paid me and I leave. 10 minutes after I leave, the client calls and asks if I can repair a broken screen. They started watching spongebob, got excited about the new TV and apparently was driving a truck on the screen. HUGE scratches all over and a crack in the bottom right corner. So, you may consider wall mounting it just above the oldest's head.

I keep accidentally editing a post when I'm trying to quote, lol.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Speaking from the perspective of a father with a 9 year old son, I would consider my son to be developmentally challenged if he did that to a TV much less a 10 year old.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

I just bought this but from this link for $749.

the newegg is easier to read but the amazon link is cheaper.

EDIT:

sorry didn't read the full post.

I am limiting myself to about $300 since I am a cash only mofo.

SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:01 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

Will be mainly for PS3 gaming and watching boob tube / HD TV. I dont see myself being a Blue Ray watcher as the only movies we seem to buy are for the kids.

I stream .iso and .x265 movies from my computer to my ps3 via ps3mediaserver and watch them in 1080p. That is about 99% of my ps3 use. the rest is playing a free demo game for about an hour max.
SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: