FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > wut u use for performance testing?

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

wut u use for performance testing?  Reply with quote  

I don't just mean 3D performance, I mean all around computer performance. I think I found an OK one but was wondering if there were any good, free or close to it alternatives. Right now I am evaluating Passmark Performance Test. Like I said, I think its "OK" but wondering if there is something a little nicer out there. Looking for something to use under windows.

Post Thu May 20, 2010 8:45 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

for e-peen or something actually useful?

Post Thu May 20, 2010 8:52 am  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

For a baseline for workstations for when end users complain that "Ella's PC is faster than mine so fix it." bull crap. That way after running all the usual anti-mallware, anti-virus, defrag bullcrap I can run the baseline benchmark software and say "Look, your PC performs the same as all the others of that type so its fine."

Post Thu May 20, 2010 9:09 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash

intra-office epeen... hmm.

i'd just use Prime95 or something and tell them to stuff it.

if they bitch too much just run it for a couple of days so they can't get any work done.

Post Thu May 20, 2010 9:19 am  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

My response to claims of my computer is slow is normally much less interactive. I have users at clients' tell me that their computer is slow, even when their computer is brand new and faster than my own home computer. Unless they're still using a P4, they don't get much sympathy from me.

Post Thu May 20, 2010 9:24 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Unfortunately I have to be a little more responsive than that. Usually a format will fix most speed issues. Just tryin to see if theres something out there that will let me know when I dont need to hit a gnat with a sledgehammer.

Post Thu May 20, 2010 11:45 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash

why not just poll perfmon on everyone?

Post Thu May 20, 2010 12:13 pm  View user's profile Send private message
The.Real.Cast
Obama Lemming Looking for the Cliff

Slow computer is too vague. Make them be very specific about what is slow. Don't let them off with 'everything'. Have them demonstrate the slowness. If there's an obvious problem, proceed with tshoot. You should be able to tell if the performance is average and they are just being obnoxious. If so, have their supervisor intervene.

Generally management is only interested in improving desktop performance if it will legitimately improve efficiency. It's pretty rare that system performance is an issue in the typical office environment. Often they will be waiting on some server based app for most of the 'downtime' and their PC performance doesn't mean squat (aside from having enough ram to switch between necessary applications reasonably smoothly).

Post Fri May 21, 2010 11:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash

Ever try Peacemaker?

Post Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:44 am  View user's profile Send private message
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

block the internet and tell them if they complain you will extend that block to their email and text messaging.
SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:33 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: