FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Thoughts on upgrade?

What do I upgrade?
Processor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Video
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Ram
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Keep money in mattress where it belongs
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Some other option (explain)
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Thoughts on upgrade?  Reply with quote  

So I've pretty much talked myself into just getting one upgrade now and waiting till all the hoopla, reviews, manufacturing process wrinkles, etc all get ironed out an the plethora of new hardware thats gonna be available in teh comming months.

heres what I have right now:
AMD A64 s939 3000+ (Winchester)
MSI K8T800Pro mobo
BBA x800 XT PE AGP (comperable to a 6800Ultra if you only know nVidia parts)
1GB (2x512) Kingston HyperX PC4000 (DDR500)
2xMaxtor 200GB pATA HDD drives (JBOD)
NEC DVD-ROM 8x DL Burner
onboard GB LAN, AC97 Audio
19" 1280x1024 LCD

So I am thinking, either:
1) 7800GS
2) A64 4000+ processor (I have no desire for dual core)
3) an additional 1GB (2x512MB) of RAM

My main goal is to make things a little more snappy gennerally. I'm leaning towards the RAM upgrade as its the cheapest and may make the biggest difference in what I use my computer for (gaming only). Thoughts or other ideas?

Last edited by Shinare on Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:08 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

RAM.

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:10 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Atomm
Brules was better than me at BF2

Since you already have a decent video card, I would say RAM. The big thing I would consider after that is how to get to PCI-E from AGP.

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:29 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Brules
M F C E O

Is there that big of a difference in AGP -> PCIe? I am stuck with AGP myself....

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:34 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Shinare, we can work together on this upgrade. I have 2x 512 sticks of Kingston PC4000 (pretty sure thats what it is) that I bought from BB a while ago. These are currently in my gaming pc and working great. I really want 2 gig but can't do that without replacing my ram since I only have 2 ram slots.

I've been looking at 2x 1 gig Mushkin but couldn't justify it because I didn't want to jack with selling my ram. If you are interested in buying matching ram sticks used from me, I'll work on getting the Mushkin "approved". What Mushkin lines do you recommend (XP, HP, EM, Pro, Standard)?

When are you thinking about doing this?

Oh, and my recommendation is for the ram upgrade, even if you don't buy it from me.

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:03 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

shinare, you're actually not that bad off in any area. i don't think you'd see a huge increase in speed with 2gb of memory. like you and i were talking about the other day, 2 sticks is better than 4 sticks, cuz of the 1T thing.

and because you're still agp, i'd hate for you to dump more money into this rig if you planning a major overhaul anyway in the near future.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
blu
Step on my cubes.

I voted for giving me the money to buy some lovin. Dan's been raisin his rates.

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:58 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

nimda wrote: shinare, you're actually not that bad off in any area. i don't think you'd see a huge increase in speed with 2gb of memory. like you and i were talking about the other day, 2 sticks is better than 4 sticks, cuz of the 1T thing.

and because you're still agp, i'd hate for you to dump more money into this rig if you planning a major overhaul anyway in the near future.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yah, I would hate to loose the 1T as well, but I am wondering if have 2G wil offset having to back off to 2T. Sad I dunno, its a hard choice right now. Sad

7, yah, I would be up for that but I gotta get my ducks in a row here today first, I'll try and catch ya on IM here in a littlebit.

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:17 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

1T 2T? There is no way you would ever notice the difference is there???? Kinda like OC'ing today. Ocing a 3ghz CPU to 3.4ghz, you will never know the difference. Smile

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:36 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

2 gig should help out alot in the newer games with larger texture sets. I've yet to hear from someone that didn't get a performance boost in BF2 from putting in an extra gig.

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:43 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

i thought texture memory was handled by the graphic card?

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:32 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Atomm
Brules was better than me at BF2

Shinare, if you pass up the offer for the memory, I might be interested....

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: