FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Be sure to back up your data

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Be sure to back up your data  Reply with quote  

No, I haven't lost anything. I just figured it would be a good reminder.

What personal backup systems do you use?
Anything offsite? In the cloud?

I use BackupPC to make deduped backups of files to an extra hard drive.
I need to get some FreeAgent GOs and rotate them out or something, though.

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:07 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

I don't backup anything unless I just copy it to multiple hard drives for good measure. I have historically lost multiple terabytes of data but nothing I couldn't live without. I feel I should continue on with this method and keep crying every time I lose my shit.

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:38 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
The.Real.Cast
Obama Lemming Looking for the Cliff

personally, I rsync between two systems for bulk data. photos i dont want to risk losing are mostly posted to flickr, family photos etc.

my company does some offsite DR hosting but it can be pricey if you have alot of critical data. we formerly used vembu to do this but it was problematic at best. so we have migrated to intronis for most clients. there are a crapload of online services offering this as well, but trying to keep large amounts of data synced offsite can be counterproductive without enough upstream bandwidth.

Post Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:01 pm  View user's profile Send private message
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

I'm with Nikola on this one....just having the data on multiple HDD's is fine for me.....Have one or two HDD's that stay on the shelf as a backup then I just use my handy dandy Thermaltake HDD "toaster" thing so I can just switch HDD's in and out like a SNES Laughing

Post Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:14 pm  View user's profile Send private message
GeneticWeapon
Cum back to EVE!

I have genital herpes.

Post Sat May 01, 2010 1:35 pm  View user's profile Send private message
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

I back up my genital herpes with syphilis......you know....just to make sure I'm covered Laughing

Post Sat May 01, 2010 1:37 pm  View user's profile Send private message
GeneticWeapon
Cum back to EVE!

.......it's called 'the drips' Rolling Eyes

Post Sat May 01, 2010 9:38 pm  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash

Another reminder to back up!

I'm now using Crashplan, and it has been pretty good to me. Everything is encrypted and you can do your own key management. $5/mo

When the last batch of tornadoes was coming into town, that was the first time I didn't have an automatic instinct to yank drives from my computer to take to the cellar.

Post Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Everything I cant live without is on a portable HD. Steam FTW for my games. That just leaves pics, mp3's and videos which isn't a lot size wise. I may snag a 2nd portable HD for some redundancy.

Post Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I use DropBox for my small files that I want to access in multiple places and CrashPlan+ for all my kids pictures/videos, etc. Both are great services and the best I could find for both needs.

Post Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:04 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Re: Be sure to back up your data  Reply with quote  

LightningCrash wrote: I just figured it would be a good reminder...

...to remind you (LC) that you haven't been to a LAN in forever. And that you ought to come out.

Post Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:08 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Menos
Broke My Labia

Follow up time. Based on sevnn and lc recommending Crashplan I signed up with them quite some time ago. The tornado took my house and I lost the computer. The backup I had on my server survived but it wasn't complete. The crashplan backup saved my ass. I was able to do a full restore of all 300+GB...
Back up your stuff people. I would have lost some pretty important stuff if it wasn't for crashplan.

Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:03 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

That's great that crash plan worked well for you Menos. I haven't done a test restore, which basically means I'm not "really" backed up, and I need to change that. I currently have just over 1 TB with CP backed up to their cloud and to a small portable drive. CP owns both of them and its a great system. If my house is wiped out, or I lose a hard drive, I can restore from the portable drive in less than a day with no internet traffic needed. If the portable goes with the house, I can pull everything down from their cloud. I keep the portable with me in my go back when I head out to the neighbor's shelter.

Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:46 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
LightningCrash

That's awesome Menos.

I haven't always taken home backups seriously. I'm glad we all got on board the backup wagon before a serious loss of data.

Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:07 pm  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash

I had a house fire, but all of my family, and all of my data is safe.

Gonna be fun slurping back down a few TB when I get the server back up and running.

Post Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:39 pm  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: