FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > In need of CPU cooler for AM3+ CPU

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

In need of CPU cooler for AM3+ CPU  Reply with quote  

So, I bought an am3+ cpu and motherboard over the holidays and shuffled the use of computers around. This is now my desktop computer which lives in my house. The stock cooler fan is noisy as all getout. I've set it to lower clock speed when idle and consequently the fan speed lowers as well. The problem is, even at the slowest setting that this thing does, it is still quite the racket. My intel stock cpu fan was never this noisy. Does anybody have an reccomendations? If not I'll just buy something off pooegg or amazon that looks ridiculous and quiet.

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:55 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

Get a Corsair H60-80-100 series. They rock.

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:13 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

I have an old heatsink from dirty santa that uses 120mm fans. Not sure if it fits that socket though. I'll check.

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:55 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Thanks Brules, but I'm never putting watercooling anything in a PC I move around ever again.

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Anreill wrote: I have an old heatsink from dirty santa that uses 120mm fans. Not sure if it fits that socket though. I'll check.

Thanks Anreill let me know. If it doesn't fit an AM3+, or at least have a bracket kit I can buy, I was thinking about this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AXUTKEY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:08 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
blu
Step on my cubes.

Why not just blow on it really hard? We all know you have some serious lung power.

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

TehDanMan wrote: Thanks Brules, but I'm never putting watercooling anything in a PC I move around ever again.

So you'd rather bolt on a gigantic metal weight that is bound to break loose of its mornings and bounce around inside the computer while you are driving? I have the Corsair H60 and I trust it COMPLETELY. It's been in my computer now for 3+ years and it has worked perfectly. I definitely get the fear of component based water cooling, but the H series and other similar products remove the danger of water spillage and maintenance requirements to zero.

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:20 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Found the heatsink, but can't find the mounting plates that came with it and I don't have the box anymore so no idea what manufacturer it is.

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:48 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Same, had my H60 sealed unit for 3+ years....move it around plenty.

It's not like it is a Despite water cooling system using tupperware and hoses LOL.

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:30 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I went with the heatsink I posted earlier. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:26 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

Air Weenie.

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

You got me with air weenie. I ordered an H60.

Actually, the other one said it was in stock but now says that it wouldn't arrive until the 16th. I cannot wait that long, so I cancelled the phantec cooler. Since the H60 is only $10 more, I went with it and will be like all my friends and maybe now I'll finally fit in. Just kidding, I won't give up the weird.

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:07 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Got my H60 in today. Lets see how it does with some cpu intensive gaming. Usually I'd sit at around 50 degrees Celsius in Rust. Now is the moment of truth. Is it going to keep my CPU cooler? Will this fan make more or less noise?

Post Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:48 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Works great, thanks again for the suggestions. I went from idling at 42C to idle 40C. I went from quickly ramping up from 42C to 50C playing Rust to slowly climbing to 46C and bouncing between 46C and 45C.

GG Thanks again! Also, it stays quiet. Now, to get a fan controller for my system fans.

Post Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:25 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I push/pull with dual 120s, it might not make a big difference but I never have heat issues on my 2600k so I'm happy.

Post Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:25 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
trice001
Sand Filter

Essentially, in the event that you are content with your boxed cooler execution and you would prefer not to trouble with supplanting it, With such a variety of decisions thus numerous custom apparatuses, it's difficult to settle on a correct decision. We are here to give you a couple tips. Trust this will offer assistance. Similarity - CPU SOCKETS, The ace concern would be the similarity with the CPU attachment sort. If you don't mind check the client manual or data on the bundling to perceive what attachment sort your motherboard and CPU are. It could be Intel Socket 775/1156/1366/1155 or AMD 754/939/940/AM2/AM3/FM1. PC CASE, The greatest concern is regardless of whether the case is sufficiently extensive for the picked cooler. It would be ideal if you verify whether the warmth sink can fit for the situation (e.g. Coolermaster's Hyper 612S CPU cooler fits Thermaltake's M9 case - 163 mm/6.4″ versus max. 165mm/6.5″ - with fan conduit expelled and just 100 mm/3.9# with fan channel). You ought to consider climate your case accompanies the fan pipe or with the pre-introduced side board fan. At that point you have to expel these or to search for a position of safety CPU cooler. You could even evacuate the side board on the off chance that you wish to yet it's not suggested. Smash HEAT SINKS, You may need consider on the tallness of slam warmth sinks you are utilizing. At times if memory is excessively tall (e.g. G.Skill's DDR3 Trident Series) it will hit the fan on the warmth sink. You ought to check with the client manual and think about these measurements. All things considered, it's difficult to trust makers will give this information as a matter of course yet it's conceivable at item specialized support or looked through the web.
Thanks& regards,
Angel anave
Toronto Web Development | Web Development Toronto

Post Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:24 am  View user's profile Send private message
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam,spam,spam, spam.....

Post Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:42 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Goahed Makemyda wrote: Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam,spam,spam, spam.....

fookin do something about it.

Post Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:12 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

Dan I had the same issue with that AM3 CPU you sold me, stock cooler suuuuuuuuuucked and it kept getting way hot, slapped an H60 on it and runs rock solid 45 degrees under load!

Post Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:56 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Nice dude. Yeah I had an H60 on it for a while. One thing I like about the Corsair water coolers with the usb port is that you can tweak the settings. I dropped my temps by 7 degrees F by increasing the water pump flow rate and decreasing the fan speed. It is so much quieter and cooler now.

Post Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:37 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: