FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Modding > Overclocking

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
redivulpis
TK'er

Overclocking  Reply with quote  

Since I haven't seen any threads from the last year or two on the subject I though I'd start one up.
I've done a little light overclocking of various things in the past few years; AMD, Intel, nVidia, a minifridge I found. I'd be interested in meeting minds with other OC'ers in the group to swap tips and tricks and stuff, because I haven't done anything really heavy yet.
I plan to pick up a Pentium K Anniversary Edition (G3258) soon, and want to try to crank it as far as I can with air cooling. Maybe put it under water, who knows maybe even LN2.
I do have part of an old H50 I butchered a few years ago. I plan to lap the cold-plate and maybe hook it up to an inexpensive rad or something.

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

I gave up on it......to me, it just isnt worth fooling with for just a few FPS more. Since I game (for now) at 1080p. My standard i5 and GTX 970 run literally every game I have at 1080 max res fast as hell lol.

I remember when it was all the rage as you could actually make a huuuuge difference in your machines performance, but now a days it seems like it has fallen out of fashion.

Best water cooling setup EVER has to go to Despite and his tupperware set up lol! I miss those days hahaha!

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:00 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I checked out the Pentium K Anniversary Edition and it looks interesting. I like that they are marketing it as an OC proc that is cheap and should perform well once you play with it. It would make an interesting cheap gaming PC for my son if I decide to build him something, but I don't like that it won't go into power saving mode very well.

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:05 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Gosh, I hate to sound like an old fuddy-duddy but...

[Old Fuddy-Duddy="Back in my day tone"]
OCing was an art... my first OC was a 286 that I de-soldered the 8MHz crystal and soldered in a 16MHz crystal instantly passing my college roommate's crappy old 12MHz 286 of which he lorded over me every chance he got hehe. Then after successfully doing that I got the idea to use the same type crystal on my 8088 and... viola... I had a computer that was actually seemed to run much faster than the 286... for about 30 minutes... then the processor blew in a spectacular fashion. Back then there were no heatsinks, no heat spreaders, and when that baby blew, the pop was loud, and the smoke and smell was real. None of this "it just stopped working" crap that happens now-a-days. hehe

Later on down the road, you could OC your processor by shoring pins on the processor to advertise to the motherboard what FSB it should be running at... that was fun. Oh... and drawing a specific length pencil line between traces on the motherboard to affect the FSB speed.

After that, motherboard makers got wise and thought if they add OCing into the BIOS they can take some sales from the competition. Those "hidden" OC screens were complex and allowed every form of tweaking the FSB imaginable. Then intel got wise and locked processor multipliers... then they got more wise and started charging extra for unlocked multipliers...

Now-a-days you can OC with one setting in the BIOS rather than pageS of settings... OCing is so fundmentally different and easy that anyone who builds a system can do it, with good results on stock cooling.

To me... its just not fun anymore. Everything is done for you. You dont have to worry about memory address allocation, IRQ interrupt conflicts, banks of jumpers and dip switches, weather you plugged your ribbon cable in upside down and where pin 1 was on it. (the red wire). The VERY real possibility of inserting your processor in the wrong way and either killing it instantly, or spending the next 2 hours trying to bend a tiny pin back to straight up and down from flat within a forest of other pins. *sigh*

Now don't get me wrong, don't mistake "fun" for "better". I am in no way saying it used to be better. It just used to be more fun which in a way is kinda better, but not to the final outcome of the actual OC. hehehe [/Old Fuddy-Duddy]

Feel free to dismiss this post as the ramblings of an old man. Smile

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:21 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Nothing will beat pencil tracing the old AMD chips lol..........

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:56 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I forgot about the pencil tracings, ahhh memories.

I agree that O/C has lost its fun factor. Maybe we are just old with more money in our pockets, but I think its more about price differentiation between the products we had available, and proving to ourselves that we could build a faster computer with time vs our friends who built theirs with money.

Some of my fondest memories of O/C were my Pentinum II 266 and 300C. They were both 66 FSB with higher multipliers than the 100 FSB chips. Bumping them to 100 FSB netted you a very cheap 400 or 450 that would run perfectly on the stock cooler for years. Sure it wasn't as good of a story to tell as the pencil lines, but it was super easy, out of the box reliable, and reasonably cheaper than buying the 100 FSB versions.

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:02 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

I OC'd my rig with an SSD......holy shit, its like OC'ing x100! HAHA

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:12 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
redivulpis
TK'er

I love reading the stories from you old dogs about the days of shorting pins and actually hardware hacking and all that. I kinda stride the middle ground myself. I like that I can make adjustments from the bios and even from within the OS, but the autoclocking stuff just seems cheap. It's a marketing gimmick that I've unfortunately bought into once or twice. The last board I had did have an 'OC' button, but I never used it. I feel like it's kinda like the Red Key in that Charger Hellcat (I think that's what it was). That's why I like this Pentium K, and with the board I'm planning to use I'll actually have to tweak settings and flash an alternate bios. I'll be picking up a GA-h97n-WIFI, but Gigabyte apparently does have an 'unlocked' bios update you can get from support. Not sure how that's going to play with my Hackintosh plans for it, but that's an only remotely related project.

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Is the Pentium K only a dual core?

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:59 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
redivulpis
TK'er

Yeah, dual core, no hyper-threading. seems to do pretty well on air though. probably get up to 4.5 stable, but I'd probably settle for 4.2 due to thermals. I think the highest recorded is about 6.2 on LN2.

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:09 pm  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: