FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > A/V Closet cooling

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Menos
Broke My Labia

A/V Closet cooling  Reply with quote  

Not really a PC question but I was thinking about using PC fans so anyway.....

I'm migrating all my A/V gear into the closet in the hall. I already have my server and a UPS in there. I cut a hole in the wall and placed a A/C vent plate over it. With just the server and UPS up there it seems to do a good enough job letting the hot air out. Simple physics and all that. However I don't think it will handle all the A/V gear so I'm wanting to put a fan on the back side of the vent. I was thinking about getting a couple of 120mm case fans and making a bracket.
What I really want is some kind of temperature based fan control with variable speed fans. Idea being that when all the A/V gear is off the fans a running pretty slow and quiet but when it heats up... Ramp them up.
Obviously this is the same exact thing we all pretty much do on our PCs but I think most of us do it in software.

So, any ideas?

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:03 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LainP7
OKGG Admin

You mean like a standard fan controller? Something like this comes to mind...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4941667&CatId=501

Im really not sure how that would mount into your current setup as is.

You could always get a remote controlled box fan in there and adjust the fan speed based on when you use it.

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:32 am  View user's profile Send private message
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Bigger is better, go at least 140, or 200 if you can fit them.

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:42 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Plus they will be quieter as well........don't go cheap either, get fans with good ball bearings like fully sleeved or sealed so they last.....

Stick that fan controller in your case, cut a hole in case and grommet the edge, then just dangle a probe out in the air and set it.

I would replace that wood shelf with a metal/grated shelf too, get airflow to come up from the closet bottom where it will be cooler.

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Brules wrote: don't go cheap either, get fans with good ball bearings like fully sleeved or sealed so they last
replace that wood shelf with a metal/grated shelf too

Seconded, spend a little extra on the fans and they'll be quieter as well as more reliable. The metal shelf is an absolute must so that you can better circulate air. You might even consider putting an inlet vent in the door or side/back of the closet (depending on what is on the other side of the walls).

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:58 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Menos
Broke My Labia

I finally got around to adding the shelves in the closet. I only added two for now but once I get around to moving the AV gear in there I'll add a few more.
I was motivated to get this part done when I lost a drive in the server. The closet was running about 105F.
Now with the new shelves and fans exhausting the air through the vent it stays at 80F when the rest of the house is 75F.

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:27 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Menos
Broke My Labia

I finally got the av closet all wired in at the new house. I've got an ultra quiet broan exhaust fan in the ceiling of the closet to draw air in from under the door and then dump it into the laundry room.

The rack has:
APC UPS
Fileserver
Roku
Switch
Harmony Ultimate hub
Tivo Roamio
Bluray Player
Receiver

With everything running full tilt the closet stays about 2 degrees above house temp. Overall, rather pleased with how it turned out.

This is all feeding this:

Post Sun May 04, 2014 2:20 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

Nice!!!!!!

Post Sun May 04, 2014 6:16 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Looks great

Post Mon May 05, 2014 10:07 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Is that power outlet a dedicated circuit >20a?

Post Mon May 05, 2014 10:13 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Menos
Broke My Labia

Yup, well that plug and the exhaust fan.

Post Mon May 05, 2014 10:16 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: