FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Computer Upgrade Advice

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Robert
Dual Xeon's Pwn j0o!

Computer Upgrade Advice  Reply with quote  

I've been away from the gaming for too long, Skyrim has me interested in returning. My PC use to be really good, but I suspect it's time to spend some money and upgrade before trying to run any of the newer games.

My PC is a dual CPU woodcrest-xeon (5160 @ 3Ghz), running on a Supermicro X7DAL motherboard with 12GB RAM. The motherboard only has one PCI-E slot, which currently has a Geforce 8800 GTS card pushing pixels to a couple 1920x1200 monitors.

If all I need is a new video card, my initial pick would be an nVidia 580 whichever one makes the least amount of noise.

However if you think it's time for a new computer (or gaming laptop?) please make suggestions on what I should look at, and ballpark what the used value on my current computer is and I will start down that path.

Thanks,
Robert in Norman

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:20 pm  View user's profile Send private message
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

Skyrim is very worth it man Razz

As for upgrades I am only marginally familiar with the performance levels of xeons...mainly because there have been 4000 models over the last few years and they are all called Xeon XD. Anyway from a quick google it looks to be a dual core 65nm cpu. So my opinion is that a 580 would definitely allow you to game at your resolution (would recommend using only one monitor for games as dual monitors would require alot more gpu muscle and you would have the bezels down the center).

The problem I see you running into would be the GPU has the potential to outrun the CPU. So you may not be able to exploit the full capability of a new video card. You would get much better performance but the cpu may bottleneck the video card....

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:20 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Robert
Dual Xeon's Pwn j0o!

Thanks, I'll start looking for a 580 card. Time to start reading reviews.

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:53 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Def a 580.....BUT I hear the new 600 series will be out Dec/Jan/Feb. If Newegg starts dropping their prices soon, then they are imminent. Honestly a 600 though prolly wont be a lot faster than a 580 I imagine.

Oh, if you plan on playing BF3 - your dual core might not be optimal. I have heard that BF3 will fully utilize quad cores and dual cores are at a disadvantage.

I just built a new i5 K2500k, 8gb RAm, GTX560 and it runs BF3 like a champ.....2500k and the i7 2600k's are all that and a bag of chips.

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:22 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

His dual Xeons are dual core so he has 4 cores. With an upgraded card he should be able to play BF3 with out any issues.

Also, the 2600k is an unbelievable processor. Now with the 3960x, 3930 and 2700k, I can't fathom how fast those beasts would be.

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:12 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

just wait till 28nm cpu's are out....anyone want to buy a Hexacore Razz

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:19 am  View user's profile Send private message
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Brules wrote: Def a 580.....BUT I hear the new 600 series will be out Dec/Jan/Feb. If Newegg starts dropping their prices soon, then they are imminent. Honestly a 600 though prolly wont be a lot faster than a 580 I imagine...

Heck, a 480 is a close second to a 580. The 480 runs a bit hotter, but if you're penny pinching keep that fact in mind.

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:10 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Too bad you don't have 2 slots, you could pick up 2 460's for cheap and SLI them......

My question on the Xeons.....since they are business class type CPU's - will games be able to utilize them like they do the i3/5/7's?

Also look at the 570's Robert, just a tad slower than the 580 and cheaper. I think it really depends on what resolution you play at.

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:26 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Robert
Dual Xeon's Pwn j0o!

Fate is pushing me towards a 570 now. I considered my case big, but the way the hard drives are mounted it turns out there is only 10" available for a video card, which appears to rule out every 580 card, even some 570 cards.

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:43 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Menos
Broke My Labia

Can you not remove some of those drive cages?

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Robert
Dual Xeon's Pwn j0o!

The drive cages are one piece, it would be possible to drill out all of the pop rivits and move it closer to the fans but still not sure an 11" card would fit. Ordered a 570, hopefully it will fit and carry the load. Will update once I receive the card.

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:41 pm  View user's profile Send private message
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

Thankfully the power cables are on the side on most of the longer cards so the clearance is close....the only thing you need to be mindful is the air intakes.

And there are almost no differences between standard and server CPU's. Besides the server cpu's are higher binned so they are more stable and consume less voltage....

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:01 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Robert
Dual Xeon's Pwn j0o!

The 570 fit, but just barely due to the power connectors being on the end of the card. It would have taken surgery on the case to get a 580 to fit inside this case. I know this is a lame benchmark, but my windows experience score went from 6.8 to 7.8 for gaming. So my 5 year old computer lives on.

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:10 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Nice.....get BF3 and benchmark using it! Coming ot the Dec Lan now???? Smile

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:25 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Nice setup. Why is your ram in different slots? Did you have a bad slot and had to change one of them or it a strange board setup?

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Robert
Dual Xeon's Pwn j0o!

Sevnn wrote: Nice setup. Why is your ram in different slots? Did you have a bad slot and had to change one of them or it a strange board setup?

The 6 ram slots are in a strange configuration, two are on one channel, four share a 2nd channel. So 4 sticks are twice as fast as 2 sticks, but 6 sticks are not faster than 4. So when I built the machine I filled 4 of the 6 slots and said "someday" I'll fill the other 2.

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:55 pm  View user's profile Send private message
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

I love how everything is green except the Nvidia card....

lol Irony Laughing

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:20 pm  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: