FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Win 7 64bit RAM

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Bungle
I rubbed it with a soft towel...

Win 7 64bit RAM  Reply with quote  

Anybody know if there is a way to get Win 7 64bit to show more than 3.75gb RAM? I thought there was a work around. Doesn't seem to be anywhere easy. Googled and found nothing helpful.

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:14 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Myself, I've been running Windows 7 Pro 64bit on my last 3 machines. I've never had any problem with it detecting the RAM so long as it detected all of it on post.

Stupid question, I know, but I always find it's best to start with the simple stuff. How much RAM is your memory test on post showing as present? ...course some are in the habit of disabling the memory test on post in order to more quickly boot the machine. And so re-enable it if that's the case. It could simply just be booting with bad information on how much RAM you have.

If that isn't showing correctly, power down, disconnect power (disconnect the battery too if it's a laptop) and re-seat the RAM, perhaps shuffling the location of the specific units. If that doesn't correct it I'd suspect hardware failure of one of the RAM slots on the motherboard or one of the RAM sticks themselves.

Course if it is showing correctly on post, I'd reload from scratch, figuring you loaded 32 bit on accident or it's some sort of corrupted FUBAR like I've never seen before. Either way, a full reload should fix that.

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:39 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

And if I seemed to be covering the "no duh" steps, forgive me. I, like just about everyone that's worked tech support of any kind, would rather state them than not. Bungle, I have no idea what your skill level with this sort of thing is, sorry. Sad

I just hope that helps.

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:41 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

I too haven't heard of any issues with win 7 and RAM.....my work laptop I am on now has 4GB and it shows up fine.

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:08 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Code

Rating:                 7.6 Windows Experience Index
Processor:              Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40 GHz  3.40GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB
System type:            64-bit Operating System

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:36 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Might be a RAM problem Bungle.....like Drix said. make sure it is seated right, swap channels, adjust voltage. If it sees it in BIOS /post, win 7 will see it/use it.

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

The other day, I was installing the OS on a system with 8gb of ram, and accidently installed 32bit OS. Did you do this too? Also, did you install 64bit with less than 4gb of ram? I upgraded my desktop to 8gb of ram from 2 and it only saw 3.7 until I ran the windows repair utility. Just fixed it automatically.

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:14 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Re: Win 7 64bit RAM  Reply with quote  

Bungle wrote: Anybody know if there is a way to get Win 7 64bit to show more than 3.75gb RAM? I thought there was a work around. Doesn't seem to be anywhere easy. Googled and found nothing helpful.

How much RAM do you have?

Sometimes there's an address mapping setting in the BIOS that will eat up some amonts of RAM.

So if you're at 4gb installed and only 3.75 shows up... check the BIOS for that setting.

Post Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:41 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Is it a computer that has shared memory with the video card?

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:28 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Bungle

Thanks everyone for the replies.
My skill level is moderate. Here is a screenshot of what I am working with. The RAM is not shared as I have a EVGA 9600GT (PCI-E) card.

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:16 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

What mother board are you using, and what is your current memory configuration?

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:23 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Bungle

I am running an ASUS P5B Deluxe. I did the memory remap in the BIOS and now shows 4gb, thanks all!

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:32 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: