FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Looking for a secure webserver software type thingy.

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Looking for a secure webserver software type thingy.  Reply with quote  

I'm looking for an "off the shelf" type of web interface that will facilitate a user opening the website, registering their own username and password via SSL, loging in (of course) and uploading a file. All in a web interface.

Security is a MUST and access to that file must only happen if that person is able to log in via SSL.

Is there anything like that out there? I'm not scared of linux, but I'd rather it be something I can run on a windows server.

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:02 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

http://drupal.org/node/374761

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:13 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Thanks LC, your recommendation looks pretty cool. Almost reminds me of my days of fiddling around with phpNuke many many years ago.I have no clue about it but I will continue to look into it. It seems like its way overkill for what I am wanting, but it looks like you can trim it down to whatever you want it to do. Looks like I got some playin' to do.

Would you say that this was secure enough that uploaded files could not be "hacked" into and stolen? Thats my biggest fear anyway. Thats why I'm looking for something that could be SSL all the way and have robust administration of users and their files.

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash

Run SSL on the whole site. Drupal has constant updates to it. It's pretty secure.

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:28 am  View user's profile Send private message
The.Real.Cast
Obama Lemming Looking for the Cliff

Another thumbs up for drupal here. If you just want to slap a site up for testing, the acquia installer makes it pretty trivial.

http://acquia.com/downloads

On the other hand, most SSL VPNs contain bookmarking features that would allow them to log in and open a remote file share. I know for certain that Sonicwall and Cisco can do this, haven't tried it with the free ssl vpn products, but I bet it works fine too.

WinSCP with saved profiles and a locked down SSH server might also be practical.

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:50 am  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash

The.Real.Cast wrote: WinSCP with saved profiles and a locked down SSH server might also be practical.

Very true! With OpenSSH 4.9 and later, you can run OpenSSH in an SCP/SFTP-only capacity, with NO shell logins.

More info here: http://www.minstrel.org.uk/papers/sftp/builtin/

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:24 am  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

The.Real.Cast wrote: Another thumbs up for drupal here. If you just want to slap a site up for testing, the acquia installer makes it pretty trivial.

http://acquia.com/downloads

On the other hand, most SSL VPNs contain bookmarking features that would allow them to log in and open a remote file share. I know for certain that Sonicwall and Cisco can do this, haven't tried it with the free ssl vpn products, but I bet it works fine too.

WinSCP with saved profiles and a locked down SSH server might also be practical.

Wow, cool, thanks for that!

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:23 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

LightningCrash wrote:
The.Real.Cast wrote: WinSCP with saved profiles and a locked down SSH server might also be practical.

Very true! With OpenSSH 4.9 and later, you can run OpenSSH in an SCP/SFTP-only capacity, with NO shell logins.

More info here: http://www.minstrel.org.uk/papers/sftp/builtin/

I had thought of an Explicit FTPS server which would be a ridiculously easy answer to my problem, but unfortunately this needs to be so easy a caveman could do it, and trying to explain to people how to set-up and use an FTP client to connect FTPES://blah.com might blow their minds. (and not something I want to do daily) Also, I need a way for users to set themselves up and initiate the upload without me doing anything.

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:29 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I'm pretty impressed with http://www.nysenate.gov/ it looks really nice and is a good demo of Drupal. Daddy likey.

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:35 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: