FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Mobo issue?

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Maximes
Giant Maxipad

Mobo issue?  Reply with quote  

I purchased this motherboard some time ago but recently got a am3 processor and installed it. Booted no problem but showed my memory running at 800 mhz. went into bios and set the voltage to 2.0v as the memory stated and set the clock to 1067 as suggested. After setting those ram settings the bios saved and reset and failed to boot post or show video. I plugged in my mobo speaker to diagnose and it came back with a ram or memory controller beep one short repeating beep. I switched out ram and installed another processor and still no post or boot but I received no beep and no power to keyboard or mouse. I tried 4 sets of ram to no avail. Maybe im missing something?

You can email me at [email protected]
Pm me if you would rather call

Thanks you for taking the time to read this

Jarrett szczepaniak

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:53 am  View user's profile Send private message
Bobacus
Gov. Surplus FTW!

Reset CMOS?

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:56 am  View user's profile Send private message
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

My first solution would be the same as Bob's.

Unplug the power cable from the back of the PSU, open the case. Find the button battery on the board and pop it out of it's holder. Usually just have to hold down a little tab on the side and it'll fall out. Leave that out for 20 seconds or so. Put the battery back in, plug the power back in, and turn it on. This will completely reset the BIOS settings on the machine to defaults.

Yes, a lot of motherboards have jumpers or a switch for this. Personally, the battery thing is easier and it's standard across pretty much every motherboard ever.

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:14 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Bobacus wrote: Reset CMOS?

I was going to suggest the same?

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:14 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Maximes
Giant Maxipad

o forgot to add that i have done this multiple times jumper nad battery removal

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am  View user's profile Send private message
Anreill

What motherboard and memory are you using?

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:28 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Does your mobo have a "backup BIOS"? Some mobo mfgr's out there have "Dual BIOS's" and you can change over to the other one. Aside from doing something like that then I'd have to say there really wasn't much more you could probably do except RMA the mobo.

Have you tried the RAM in another mobo? You said you "switched out RAM" was it the exact same kind? If so have you tried another type of RAM, maybe DDR2-800?

I'm not sure why changing the speed of your ram would hose your system. Perhaps something else is involved? Perhaps disconnect everything so that the only things on/connected to your mobo are the processor and the ram, and power form the power supply? Are all the power connections your motherboard needs being utilized?

Is this in a case? Is the mobo properly grounded?

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:38 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Maximes
Giant Maxipad

i have pulled everything out and reinstalled it also i have tried booting with jsut the basic componants,

not sure if i have dual bios i will check when i get home

its a asus m3a78-t
i have tried diffrent speeds of ram diffrent amounts

everything worked prior the ram setting change

the speaker only responds to the new processor and not the old and mouse and keyboard receive no power

well i will just buy a new board and send this one RMA after i try booting it outside the case to rule out shorting issues

Built a goot 20 computer and always follow proper ESD precautions never had this problem

i called asus tech support and they said higly unlikely its the mobo even tho i tried 2 processors and 4 diffrent types of ram they say its the cpu or the ram..

thanks for the responses

Shinare wrote: Does your mobo have a "backup BIOS"? Some mobo mfgr's out there have "Dual BIOS's" and you can change over to the other one. Aside from doing something like that then I'd have to say there really wasn't much more you could probably do except RMA the mobo.

Have you tried the RAM in another mobo? You said you "switched out RAM" was it the exact same kind? If so have you tried another type of RAM, maybe DDR2-800?

I'm not sure why changing the speed of your ram would hose your system. Perhaps something else is involved? Perhaps disconnect everything so that the only things on/connected to your mobo are the processor and the ram, and power form the power supply? Are all the power connections your motherboard needs being utilized?

Is this in a case? Is the mobo properly grounded?

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:56 am  View user's profile Send private message
Anreill

Well. Poked around on Asus forums a bit. Looks like it's actually fairly common to have POST problems with that board. May just be better off getting something else.

I was a big fan of Asus for several years, then got 4 bad boards within 6 months and quit using them. Pretty much only buy MSI now.

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:46 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Anreill wrote: ...

I was a big fan of Asus for several years, then got 4 bad boards within 6 months and quit using them. Pretty much only buy MSI now.

I agree mostly with what Anreill just said, except I only buy Gigabyte now.

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:55 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Mike will dog gigabyte because he once got a bad motherboard.

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:28 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Maximes
Giant Maxipad

ha anyone have a suggestion on a good board that has 790gx amd chipset? gotta have my ACC lol

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:11 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Heres a gigabyte one: $100 AR

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:49 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

odd I pretty much only buy Asus...they have been nothing but awesome to me.....and on the other hand I have a buddy who had 2 different gigabyte boards fail on him for no reason....

As for your problem....Sounds odd but i agree testbed it with one stick of ram and see if you can get it going....

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:01 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Maximes
Giant Maxipad

im just gonna goahead and run ddr3 sell off the 12gb of ddr2

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:13 pm  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: