FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Help with gaming rig Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

Help with gaming rig  Reply with quote  

I've got a friend that asked me for help building a gaming PC. I'll end up building it, but I'm pretty far out of the 'what's the best bang for the buck' conversation and am turning to you guys for some help.

I'm just looking to build a new PC for $1000 - $1500 range. Obviously mostly for gaming. Not worried about peripherals... I know what I want for those.

Ultimately looking for 2 HDDs (one 10k RPM with a good cache and one larger for storage (500+GB). A good chunk of RAM, and nice solid MB/GPU that's compliant with the latest DX stuff because I want to have the 64-bit Win 7. Hoping for a good sound card too, that at the very least supports 5.1 (want to have speakers running out of it as well as my headphone/mic).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:42 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

In today's market, $1,000-$1,500 at newegg will get you a beast of a machine. I guess the question is how much of that do you want to spend and how beastly do you want the computer to be.

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:57 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Heres a pretty honkin' computer for $1,400. No case in that list because I don't know what his tastes are when it comes to that. It will last years. Best Graphics processor you can buy, quad-core 8 thread i7 processor. 4GB of memory. Xonar 7.1 sound card. Lotsa' goodies and a mobo with good OC'ing potential if he's into that.

Buy Me

(make sure your newegg cart is empty before clicking on that.)

PS> That IS a beast of a computer. You can spend $6-800 and get a darn good gaming computer. Its his call how much he wants to spend. Smile

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:34 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

Thanks Shinare. I appreciate the info/help.
SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:33 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

only 4GB of memory?! wth?

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:08 pm  View user's profile Send private message
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

ATI....common man...you can do far better than that.... Very Happy

and i would recommend the 920 core I7 it is a hellova bang for the buck proc.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:31 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

At $280 it's not a bang for the buck cpu. However you can easily find the 920 for $199.99 at Microcenter or other places when they do specials. THEN it's definitely worth the money hands down.

The main problem with that build is that the mobo/cpu combo are about $20 shy of a full blown 1366 i7 build with better power.

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:04 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Here's my bid for the list of parts. Granted all I changed was the mobo/cpu/ram but you get more power for sure for the same price.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=15523548

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:12 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I'm not sure what mobo/cpu/ram you chose because I cant seem to get newegg to show me using that link. But, just to defend my mobo and cpu pics, it has more powerful Turbo Boost capabilities, and lower idle power consumption than the Core i7-920, AND costs almost the same and works with cheaper motherboards and memory kits. If you look at the added features of that motherboard I picked, I think you will agree that the multiple PCIe slots, beefier cooling, firewire, dual gigE, and added support for nvidia SLI all at a cheap price is hard to pass up. AND, I'm not sure how much memory LC thinks a person needs, but I'm rockin away with 4GB of RAM just fine in my gamer box. Now my workstation has more, but thats because I use VirtualBox to run multiple virtual PC's concurrently all the time.

Very Happy

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

It came out to $80 more expensive, which would be entirely nullified if you wait to find the i7 920 at it's very regular $200 price point. It gives you much higher memory bandwidth, which is granted somewhat moot for awhile but what the 920 really shines with is it's inherent overclocking potential.

D0 or C0 stepping both hit 3.6ghz on air pretty much guaranteed even on the stock cooler being prime95 stable. Mine did 4.2ghz prime95 stable on the stock cooler for over 6 hours before I killed it and with my TRUE120 it will hit 4.5ghz.

As far as the mobo is concerned, it's an X58 board that's proven to be reliable against an 1156 board with SLI capabilities. The X58 is not a tri-SLI board but it does have the same two x16 slots, two x1 slots, an extra x4 slot which is great for RAID cards, and the same two PCI slots. So really the difference is how much headroom you want for the future which the X58 certainly has more of.

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:15 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

Also take into account that the 920 supposedly can overclock like a a fat kid on cocaine....and its still a bargain considering I paid 380 for my dinky Q9550 core 2 Quad.... Rolling Eyes

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

Shinare wrote: at newegg

Or you could buy it somewhere reputable...

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:10 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

you have a better suggestion?

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:56 pm  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Goahed Makemyda will sell it to you. He hates newegg. Because buying from newegg drives business away from local businesses.

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:39 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LightningCrash

Shinare wrote: AND, I'm not sure how much memory LC thinks a person needs, but I'm rockin away with 4GB of RAM just fine in my gamer box.

Very Happy

The guy said "A good chunk of RAM", I wouldn't call 4GB a good chunk.
Of course DRAM prices have doubled lately, so I wouldn't blame someone for only getting 4GB at the moment...

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:14 am  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

LightningCrash wrote:
Shinare wrote: AND, I'm not sure how much memory LC thinks a person needs, but I'm rockin away with 4GB of RAM just fine in my gamer box.

Very Happy

The guy said "A good chunk of RAM", I wouldn't call 4GB a good chunk.
Of course DRAM prices have doubled lately, so I wouldn't blame someone for only getting 4GB at the moment...

I love you man.

Last edited by Shinare on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:34 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Just for a reference point, here's a HTPC I mocked up for a friend of mine's entertainment center. Its a cool 'n quiet beastie that only costs $733.23 shipped and then take another -$50 in rebates (so, less than HALF the cost of that first one). Can play pretty much any PC game on it at HDTV res and play BluRays as well.

HTPC PC

Last edited by Shinare on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:07 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash

Shinare wrote: I love you man.

I love lots of RAM, what can I say?

The more RAM, beer, guns and bandwidth, the better!

I didn't notice that DRAM prices had doubled until last night. 8GB of OCZ Platinum DDR2-800 was $90 in April, $155 today!
Thank you, US Dollar Sad

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:55 am  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Yah, its insane. The rumors have been around a while now that DDR2 was coming up to DDR3 price parity soon. Guess they were true.

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:00 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash

Shinare wrote: Yah, its insane. The rumors have been around a while now that DDR2 was coming up to DDR3 price parity soon. Guess they were true.

DDR3 has jumped up quite a bit, too. At least that's what everyone tells me. I haven't been looking at it closely.

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:14 pm  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page 1, 2  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: