FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Need recommendation

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Evilwezal
n00b

Need recommendation  Reply with quote  

I need a new PSU. I've been looking for a week now. I'm wanting a PSU that will give me room to upgrade with. I've currently got a 1.8mhz amd cpu,6800 Ultra gfx,1 ide drive and 2 dvd roms. I know,it suxs lol. I'm wanting to upgrade in steps starting with my psU.

Post Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Bobacus
Gov. Surplus FTW!

1.8 mhz, that sounds awesome.

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:02 am  View user's profile Send private message
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

In my computer builds I usually will go above and beyond when it comes to the PSU. The importance of clean stable power to your system can not be understated. Another thing to consider is what components are you going to be having in your new system (ie. any raids or SLi/crossfire).

From what your saying I am guessing anywhere from a 650 to a 750 will be adequate....(i.e room to expand as well as not loading it to its max, which can shorten the PSU's life).

Also I am guessing that your motherboard uses a 20pin connector....all new motherboards have gone to 24pin connectors. However never fear as there are many neat little PSU's that have a 20+4 main connector and these can be used with both.

I personally prefer Antec PSU's but have had good times with thermaltake and corsair as well. Newegg.com is a great place to browse and they have a wide selection....

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:27 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

I am far too lazy at the moment to give much helpful advice but I will say DO NOT SLOUCH ON YOUR PSU!

Hell, the 600w Enermax beast I bought over 4 years ago still had headroom on it running my OC'ed Q6600 @ 4.0ghz and a GTX 295 w/ 6 internal drives and a water pump, etc. If I'd bought a cheapy I'd have had trouble running that on two because of the lack of amperage on the various rails.

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Ranger283
Scrotal Sack Ninja

Wow! What is an IDE drive is that like a species of Dinosaur?

www.speedyserving.com

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:08 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

PC Power & Cooling, especially now that they've come down in price.

I paid over $250 for my 510W back in the day... Now they're under a benjamin IIRC.

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Evilwezal
n00b

How many 12v rails should my psu have and how much combined Amperage should I look for?

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Evilwezal wrote: How many 12v rails should my psu have and how much combined Amperage should I look for?

one 12V rail.

something like the PC P&C 510-SLI would be considered a baseline PSU for a performance PC today, here are the specs on it:

+5V @ 40A
+12V @ 34A/38A
-5V @ 0.3A
-12V @ 2A
+3.3V @ 30A
+5VSB @ 3A
continuous power = 510W
peak power = 650W

They also have great spec sheets on their website, even letting you see the lengths of all of the cables before you buy the PSU. This way you can cut a piece of string to the length of what you're going to route through your chassis and check for fit.

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:02 pm  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: