FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Deleting your deleted items....

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Brules
M F C E O

Deleting your deleted items....  Reply with quote  

Am I the only one here who never deleted their deleted items folder in Outlook? I find it much easier to CYA by keeping everything that I delete fromt he inbox, I repeatedly seem to have to go in and find stuff, plus I like a lean inbox. Anyone else keep all their deleted emails?

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:49 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nUgZ
pwn3d

My ex wife kept all her deleted e-mails, which is how i caught her cheating on me.

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:52 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

We are not allowed to delete stuff....

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:59 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

I don't delete anything at work, unless it's spam. I like having meticulous records for CYA.
I just wish I could tag e-mails with a short little descriptor. Oh well.

Personal e-mail, I don't delete much. Gmail FTW!

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:00 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Well I am glad to know I am not alone....I asked one of our IT guys about it and he said delete them if possible, our email server is at like 2 TB....our Oklahoma manager appearently has 6000 emails in his inbox....

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:12 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Man, seems like 2TB should be a wicked awesome amount of space for an email server. Of course I dont know how many people your email server services, but out little 100user email server thats been in service since 1998 has approx. 100GB worth of email on it, and thats counting Domino's huge install size.

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:15 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

100 people..... Smile But we email a lot of large emails. Almost all of our literature comes electronic now from our 50ish odd vendors, so if they come out with a new brochure that is 6-10 megs, it gets emailed to all the sales people etc, as well as if I email a proposal to a client, it may be 10-15mb's, especially if there are CAD plans attached.

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:27 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

^ADMIN, Nuke the spammer (zlatan24); please. With extreme prejudice. Twisted Evil

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:36 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Bobacus
Gov. Surplus FTW!

I'm gonna take a guess that your probably using exchange since you said your using outlook. If you really want to hang onto everything, just Archive out your email once a year or quarter, or however often as you need. Gets it off the server but still lets you hang onto it. Just make sure to back up the archive files so you don't loose em.

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Bobacus
Gov. Surplus FTW!

craptastic, didn't even look at the date's on the original post...

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:07 pm  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I currently have 3675 items in my inbox and that is just from the beginning of the year. I only get spam once or twice a month, I delete those. Everything else, I meticulously archive for CYA.

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:34 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

So how can I archive my outlook and clean up everything? Apparently we have a limit to the size of our mailbox.....and I keep having to delete deleted stuff to keep from being over our limit lol, but I hate to do it as I CYA my ass all the time with old emails.....

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:17 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I'm curious of the size of our exchange server at my office. We have about 200 employees and my inbox alone (not counting sent or sub-folders) is over 9000 emails and I just hit my second year there. I know we partition to different exchange servers but I'm sure our total storage use is ridiculous.

Brules, you can create PST files to store your emails so you can get rid of them. You will just drag your emails into the PST, or use the Auto-Archive feature. You can then disconnect the PST and either put it on a network share or burn to DVD and delete. If you go this route I'd recommend you setup a storage system along the lines of a PST per year. Also, you might need to shift+delete to make sure you fully delete your files. However, make DAMN sure you are clicked on emails and not folders. I shift+deleted a bunch of email I had pulled down from Yahoo back when I was using POP access in Outlook. Unfortunately I was clicked the root folder for the account (it was a sub-folder of my inbox) and it was fully deleted in a manner that was unrecoverable.

After you get rid of the email your admin might need to do something in Exchange to cleanup the files you deleted. Normally Exchange likes to hold onto emails even though you think you've deleted them.

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:32 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I have over 61,900+ emails (both sent and received) after 9 and a half years in my mail file at work. My mail file size is 4.7GB. I keep everything except spam mails and auto "health" type emails from my equipment here. My mail file size is huge compared to the vast majority of the other users on the system which range from about half of the users under 100MB and a sharp incline to the 1GB range. But, there are a few of users that have even larger files than I do.

Since my earlier 2007 post in the thread where I mentioned that we are using about 100GB of server space for mail files, our usage has actually declined to 92.7GB because of a decline in the number of employees here and archiving old mail files of ex-employees.

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:59 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: