FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Need Wireless Router Reccomendations....

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Brules
M F C E O

Need Wireless Router Reccomendations....  Reply with quote  

Sick of my current router having to be reset regularly, weak ass signal etc. Drooling over the new AC routers, but they look spotty and hit or miss.

Anyone have a recomendation on a GOOD powerful router that won't go on the fritz in 6 months?

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:50 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I have 2 Netgear WNR3500L devices: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122334. I chose them because at the time they were one of only a few N supported devices, they have 64 MB of ram, and fast processors. I've run DD-WRT on them from day one and they've worked great. I would give them an 8.5 out of 10 though. I deduct 1 point for no external (non-upgradable) antenna and a half a point just because it takes something truely perfect to get a perfect score.

I've been on the hunt for something better that I can get better wireless coverage. 2 devices work for most of my house but not as good as I'd like. One of my favorite bloggers, Jeff Atwood, had very good luck with the Asus devices running Tomato: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/06/because-everyone-still-needs-a-router.html. I've thought about trying one. I want to go dual-band with external antennas and hope that 2 devices will give me adequate coverage with less issues.

Keep us update with what you get and how it works.

Last edited by Sevnn on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:38 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I've heard the same. Look for something with dual band /dual radio and external antennas.

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:32 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Shinare wrote: I've heard the same. Look for something with dual band /dual radio and external antennas.

Yeah thats what I want.....I want coverage. I am in my office, 15' from my router and I have 3-4 bars....WTF.

I have a single WNDR3400. It is terrible.

Have my eye on this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122479

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:35 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I made the mistake of buying the chappy linksys I have now based on reviews and It's the worst I've ever had. Can't even load a custom firmware on it. It's a wrt160n v2 and it blows chunks. Range on it sucks.

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Re: Need Wireless Router Reccomendations....  Reply with quote  

Brules wrote: Sick of my current router having to be reset regularly, weak ass signal etc. Drooling over the new AC routers, but they look spotty and hit or miss.

Not to mention that there are no real AC adapters right now.

I plan to build an Astaro box with a small 4GB machine, throw in another nic. Then just stand up something for an AP elsewhere.
ie Dell Optiplex 760 for $150
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-760-Core-2-Duo-E8400-3Ghz-4GB-80-DVD-Vista-Biz-64-/160930490518?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item2578346896

Astaro Home (now Sophos UTM Home)
http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-utm-home-edition.aspx

With your home UTM you also get 10 free licenses for Sophos AV.

An Engenius EAP350 is about $75 and is supposed to be killer.

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:34 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

^^ Thats awesome

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:24 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

I picked up one of these when it was on a crazy $25 sale:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127215

Been solid as a rock. Though I would not buy it at today's price. *shrug*

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:34 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
[FUKM] ICE COLD
lan party avoiding douche

I've been using this: (NETGEAR R6300 Wireless AC1750)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122466&Tpk=R6300-100NAS

And if you pair it with a netgear dual-band NIC its amazingly fast wifi for LAN transfers. ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122490&Tpk=A6200-100NAS )

My last AP wouldn't allow me to do this over wireless but this one is flawless.

That's not with the dual-band NIC, not that it helps with internet speeds. I'm also about 30 feet from it and have no problems at all. I haven't tested how far I can go but my phone stays on it as I drive away from the house, end of the drive way is 80(ish) feet away and Pandora keeps running. (5 GHz wifi)

Overall I love this AP, but for the price I better love it. 4 independent wifi connections (2x5GHz/2x2.4GHz) that I can block from one another or open as I see fit, DLNA support, USB printer sharing, ReadyShare USB Storage Access (I don't use it but can see with the DLNA support how it could be useful(ish)), I don't have any Apple products but from what I've read about AirPrint I can see how nice it could be. If you have kids you want to cut off at a set time you can or you can throttle back one of the networks. NETGEAR Genie does a good job of keeping up with traffic reports if you want to see a graph of your peak hours or micro manage your network for whatever reason you might have.

And the best thing about this AP is that when I picked up mine and got it on the internet it kicked the shit out of BluChez's AP and he had to go get a new one the next day. We both now use these and haven't had any problems that I've heard about.

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:05 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

Hey, just as a thought, there's this dealer called Technology Unlimited who would love to have your business! I recommend Netgear. The high end stuff they make is awesome! The WNDAP350 is a great device but it's not a cheap device...

Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:09 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I know this aint my thread but thanks ICE for that info, I wasn't sure where to start with my own router investigations... heh

I think i'm going to get an Asus RT-AC66U... seems like its got more features and just as good throughput. And its got external antennas... Plus the netgear's lack of VPN pass-through support seems a little odd.

Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:29 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Papa_Smurf
Sand Filter

I actually got the NETGEAR R6200, excellent router except my crappy modem kinda makes it look worse.

Post Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:14 am  View user's profile Send private message
blu
Step on my cubes.

[FUKM] ICE COLD wrote: And the best thing about this AP is that when I picked up mine and got it on the internet it kicked the shit out of BluChez's AP and he had to go get a new one the next day. We both now use these and haven't had any problems that I've heard about.

And what he means is, literally, he brought his new router into our neighborhood and mine died instantly. I suspect foul play is afoot. (I of course went and bought the same router as he had in shame).

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:43 am  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: