FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > CNG for Me?

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

CNG for Me?  Reply with quote  

Yes it's a repost, but I thought I would move my question out of the Top Gear Tesla thread so as not to hi-jack it. However, I seriously want to know if anyone out there has any information that might be helpful on the topic of CNG conversions....here comes the repost.

So electric cars, especially those with any realistic range, are never going to hit the market in a timely manner, mostly because there are no manufacturers taking it seriously enough to make it a reality. But there is one great solution out there until they do.... CNG.

The problem is, it is almost impossible to figure out how to convert a reasonably new but not brand spanking new vehicle. I have been working to find a place that will convert something like a 2009 Chevy Tahoe that has E85 capability. I realize that they can be converted when brand new by a place in Okarche, but they won't touch anything with over 10K miles on it. They claim it could cause issues on older or higher mileage vehicles. I call BS because it would seem that if the vehicle had a reliable valve train and the cylinders were in good shape, it should be no problem. I think they are just in it to sell new Tahoe's considering the same place is also connected to Carter Chevrolet. I'm not shelling out $57K for a new Tahoe and another $12K for the CNG conversion. A $70K Chevy is NOT in my future just to pay $1.39 for CNG instead of $4 for gas.

I also know that you have to sacrifice the spare tire in order to have a dual fuel system. No problem. The spare could either be stowed in the cargo area or mounted to the luggage rack, or even left at home when driving around town. I have towing insurance. They can deal with flats

So does anyone have any information on where to get a Tahoe in generally good condition and relatively new converted to CNG right now? I'm ready to go. I even found a '99 model under $30K and under 30K miles.

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:35 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

I like rubbing 91 octane 100% gas on my nipples so I am not the best person to comment on said things Razz

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Hey vince! YOU HAVER 420 POSTS RIGHT NOW!

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:38 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

Mike, why not get a Diesel and jus convert to vegtable oil? Smile

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:42 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I've been looking into developing an Electric/CNG pseudo-hybrid drive system.

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:28 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

WTF? Bot?

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:51 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

samlauncher wrote: hey frndz m...plz help…

Maybe the bot just hates vowels?!. o.O

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:14 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

samlauncher wrote: hey frndz m looking for the info about CNG plz help…

I believe this was what I was looking for when I posted in the first place. GL fckr Wink

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:31 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Looks like he edited to add spam after the fact. LOL!

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:50 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

bilalshazii wrote: Aaaaaand deleted

Post Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:28 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
jokuel
TK'er

This is what I'm waiting for and I can do it myself.

http://phys.org/news/2012-07-wheel-hub-motor-concept-hybrid.html

http://www.greenoptimistic.com/2012/07/25/charles-perry-hybrid-car-kit/

http://mtsunews.com/wheel-hub-retrofit-update/

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/07/05/former-ibm-engineer-wins-award-funding-for-hybrid-retrofit-kit/

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:55 am  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: