FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > kvm hardware?

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Stealth
I Read Insults for Dummies & Still Fail.

kvm hardware?  Reply with quote  

I'm wanting to control multiple computers over multiple monitors via a kvm switch. Say I want to switch my dell monitor over to my emachine computer or my emachine monitor over to my dell computer. Does anybody know of any reasonable priced hardware out there for that.

Post Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:22 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brian4o5
Colonel Cunnilinigus

Why buy hardware, do it for free with software.

http://synergy-foss.org/

Post Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:31 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
blu
Step on my cubes.

I suppose the phrase "reasonable priced" is relative, but the short answer is no.

What you are asking for is a KVM Matrix. They DO NOT come cheap.

The two best places I found for them back when I was looking into it were NTI and Gefen.

DVI and USB are particularly difficult, because of the digital handshake that occurs between the computers and devices. Anything requiring HDCP is another mess entirely.

Software solutions like Synergy or Multiplicity are the best solution if each computer has it's own monitor.

If you want to share a monitor between computers, in my experience, you want to do one of the following: Setup a standard KVM on one monitor only, this could be a 3rd added monitor. Buy a monitor that has a convenient interface for switching which input is displayed. Buy a monitor that will auto-switch to an input with a signal if the current input has no signal. For this, you need an easy way in software to turn off the output from computer A or computer B.

Post Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:36 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Stealth

thanks for the info blu

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:35 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Stealth

Hey blu, what do you think about this?

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=510&sku=39973

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:59 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: