FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > SFF Gaming PC Build

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
GamerGirlAlice
TK'er

SFF Gaming PC Build  Reply with quote  

im wanting to rebuild my computer in a sff for gaming at thes events. obiously with my disbilty the smaller the better lol. im looking at 2 cases. but i wish ther was a away to combine the 2.

i like the Thermaltake Armor A30 for being micro atx and beter gaming build option but i also like the LIAN LI PC-TU20 for ease of portabilty. the lian has usb 20pin on it but yet to find a gaming board that can use it.

would u all have any advice on how to find a good case with a carry handle preferably micro atx??? or a mainboard that can utilize LIAN LI PC-TU20' usb 3.0 2-pin conector???

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:59 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GamerGirlAlice
TK'er

i just put together this build based on a shutle bare bones. see what u all think http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14715214

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:02 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brules
M F C E O

I just built a similiar build using a Lian Li PC-V354 - it is NOT small lol!

I really don't like the shuttles as they use proprietary power supplies that tend to die. I like that TU20 - as long as you get a vid card that will fit.

Only other advice I have is maybe get a vid card with more than 1gb memory. I got the Nvidia GTX 560 2GB and I can run BF3 @ 1080 ultra no problems.

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:35 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

As far as carry handles, Technology Unlimited carries carrying straps for PCs and monitors.

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:37 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Nice build Brules. I like a lot of things about that case, especially the dedicated 2.5" drive mounts. I'm not big on having to remove 4 of the 3.5" drive slots to fit a "big" video card and/or water cooling, but I do like that the case allows you to do that. It guess it works well for a portable gaming PC now with future server options once you upgrade to something new.

How have you liked the Maximus board? It looks pretty solid but I'm on the fence of building something that small where I can't do SLI and an a dedicated sound card.

@Alice, more than a few of the old school OKGG members went Shuttle years ago and loved them until we found the drawbacks of a proprietary system. As Brules mentioned, they use their own power supplies that don't last, are noisy, and aren't easily upgradable. I had 2 different systems (1 AMD, 1 Intel) and both had air flow issues, were noisy, and not very flexible with expansion options. The size is very appealing as you could stick them in a back pack (I still have my Shuttle backpack) so going to the LAN infinitely easier. The restrictions on putting in more than a couple sticks of RAM, having more than 2 drives (3 on some models), having to run a small/short video card that didn't need much power, constantly running hot, and being noisier than other SFF options all grew tiring. When it was time to upgrade, it wasn't a hard decision to go with something else. Looking at the one you are considering, I see nothing different, innovative, or interesting about the design. It looks like they fired their R&D department and are sailing on their prior successes until they run out of momentum.

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:31 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

For ultimate portability, I would maybe go Mini-ITX, i5, 8gb RAM, 1-3tb HD and as strong a vid card as you could fit in it. Problem is most mini-itx rigs have little room for big cards.

2gb GTX-570 would be perfect though.

I have a push pull H60 water cooler on my CPU - works like a friggen champ...39c at full load in BF3.

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:26 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
GamerGirlAlice
TK'er

i been looking in to this build but would love opinions. its a budget build costing $1109.92, the pricing is based of normal prices and not sale prices. you can see my newegg wish list by going to http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14715214 if you like. im just curious if this is good bang for the buck gaming rig with z68 caheing. only problem it is still very pricey for me and not sure where else i can make cuts.

1.) Shuttle SZ68R5 Intel Core i7 / i5 / i3 / Pentium (LGA1155) Intel Socket H2(LGA1155) Intel Z68 Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000 integrated in the processor 1 x HDMI Barebone
2.) Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K
3.) Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G
4.) XFX Double D Black Edition FX-777A-ZDB4 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
5.) OCZ Nocti Series NOC-MSATA-30G mSATA 30GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
6.) Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
7.) GIGABYTE KM7600 Black 14 Function Keys 2.4GHz Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard
8.) Rosewill RCR-AK-IM5002 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Card Reader w/ 3 ports USB2.0 Hub / eSATA port / Extra silver face plate / SATA Power

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:51 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GamerGirlAlice
TK'er

oh ok so shuttles have bad reps. ill see about configuring a difrent build. dumb question u mentioned monitor straps. do u have to bring a monitor to the l;an partys??? its a newb question because i never been to one

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:30 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GamerGirlAlice
TK'er

Brules wrote: I just built a similiar build using a Lian Li PC-V354 - it is NOT small lol!

I really don't like the shuttles as they use proprietary power supplies that tend to die. I like that TU20 - as long as you get a vid card that will fit.

Only other advice I have is maybe get a vid card with more than 1gb memory. I got the Nvidia GTX 560 2GB and I can run BF3 @ 1080 ultra no problems.

is that a h60 or h8o corsair cooler??

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:56 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GamerGirlAlice
TK'er

okie i reconfigured the build u can vew the saved list at http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14715214 agian. ty in advance

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:17 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brules
M F C E O

H60 in a push/pull. All fans in the case are long life sleeved bearing fans too. The closed loop water cooler units are pretty sweet.

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:12 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

Unless you do photoshop or video editing or something that needs hyper threading, I would get the i5 instead of the i7. i5 is a frikken beast as it is, and you could upgrade in a year or 2 if even needed when the i7 gets real cheap. I dont think I ever will lol, I can't slow my i5 down at all.

BF3 runs 35-45% core load across all 4 cores at most I think. Might jump to 55% occasionally over 1-2 cores.

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:15 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
GamerGirlAlice
TK'er

i do video and photo work alot hence why i think the 2600k be good for me but i dont think i can afored to build a computer. found out my car had more fail in last moth my struts breakes wheel cnders, trans need serviced, radeator servced, and even a new muffler and resnator

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:11 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

GamerGirlAlice wrote: oh ok so shuttles have bad reps. ill see about configuring a difrent build. dumb question u mentioned monitor straps. do u have to bring a monitor to the l;an partys??? its a newb question because i never been to one

Yup, you'll need to bring a monitor of your own. As to the carrying straps, we are a reseller for www.geargrip.com. When you figure in shipping we can usually get it to you for a little cheaper than ordering direct.

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:52 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

If you still decide to do the build, the 2600K is a BEAST. I've never been able to slow mine down, despite many focused attempts. That said, the 2500 (non-K) is still quad core, is close to the same clock speed, and is likely worth the saved $. It isn't as overclockable but if you are building a SFF MiniITX, I doubt you'll have much luck over clocking any ways.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:51 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
GamerGirlAlice
TK'er

2600k is for my photo work and video encoding hobbies. i know 2500k is 100 cheaper but more limited in the types hobbies i like. shuttle is coming out with a 500w x79 system soon i here as well, so i wonder if a shuttle and x79 would work well together.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:20 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
liza123
Sand Filter

Hello,

I want to purchase a laptop and some other accessories, so please suggest me some shops where I can buy it at an affordable price.

cheap laptops online

Last edited by liza123 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:12 am  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Technology Unlimited.

(405) 773-6037

Ask for Mike. He speaks Russian and Chinese.

Smile

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:40 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: