FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Whats the skinny on the AMD x6 cores? Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

where can i read more about the SSD and addon-card compatibility problems?
i know about the IMC limit on memory

i run a lot of VMs and my C2D+8GB-DDR2 is starting to get a bit cramped.
i have 4x4GB DDR3-1600 waiting on me to build the rest of a system Sad

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:55 am  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Nice.....I think I am skipping SSD for now. I figure a 32mb cache, 7200 rpm 6gb/sec is fast enough for me.

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:18 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

I'd have to look it up for you LC, which I'll probably do here in a few minutes. I stumbled onto it when I was diagnosing a problem I found with my G19 which also has problems with the new Sandybridge chipsets, but surprisingly shares it with X58 as well.

Long story short on the SSD front is there are serious problems on both Intel and Sandforce's new controllers so anything post-Crucial C3 is a big gamble. I actually almost went with an older drive when I bought my new Mushkin drive last month because of the possibility of problems with newer chipsets.

EDIT: Here is a link to the issue on the OCZ forums and I believe this one briefly touches on the problems on Intel's side as well.

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:41 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

thanks for the link... i remember hearing some of this about the Macs too.

speaking of Nehalems, Nikola, are you Folding for Team [H]ard|OCP?

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:20 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Ok this sucks, I cant find a mATX board that will do SLI......no AMD 990 chipset mATX's are out - and the only intel model I can find is for the new 1366 socket which only takes high end i7's.

Ug.

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:15 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I've got a 2600k with 16 Gig of GSkill and an OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS. The only issues I've had are with my 460GTX being flaky. It is probably going to either go back to MSI for replacement or might be sold in favor of a 5xx card. I'm extremely happy with the system. I don't know if I've ever maxed the CPU, like ever. The Vertex 3 is f'ing fast and I have never had to wait on it for anything.

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

I was for a bit, way way too hot for that all the time though.

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:52 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

FYI: Newegg has the Vertex3 120gig for $219 + $30 rebate right now: http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-20-227-714-_-10062011_1

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:04 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Ooooo found a intel based mATX that has 2 PCIE slots - one is x16, both go to x8 in SLI mode......little more money than the AMD system but looks like it will be worth it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131759

That plus 8gb RAM, i5 2500k, GTX560 - will make a sweet little LAN box.

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:42 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

Thats the little brother of my board....I am partial to Asus and the ROG label....but they are damn nice boards in every regard....

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:54 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

I am kind of lerry of Asus - as their QC has definately gone down hill, but it looks like the ROG stuff is a bit better quality so I think I will chance it.

I read a Hard OCP review of SLI on x8 x8 - and unless you go batshit crazy resolution, there is no difference so it looks like i am good to go....

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:11 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

I mean everybody seems to have different experiences with motherboard brands....but I have owned about 10 asus boards and everyone of them has been rock solid...(still have 3 asus boards in operation, one being my original socket 775 RoG board that I still love Razz )

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:52 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

I think there is something to the high end boards where they use better components for sure....

My wish list as of now is:

ASUS RoG mATX mobo
8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
1TB 6gb/sec 64mb cache WD HD
GTX560 Vid Card
700w modular PS
Apevia mATX case
i5 2500k CPU

This will allow me to have lots of headroom...I can go SSD, i7, +8mb more of ram, SLI all down the road - should last me a good long while I think.

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:58 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I've got the ASUS p67 Sabertooth and it is ROCK solid. The build quality is spot on and the only think I haven't been 100% pleased with is that it didn't come with the optional fan for the north bridge that you can (should) use in W/C setups that don't move air near the cpu area. With the armor layer on the board, the air is supposed to go in near the CPU and disperse through the board. If you are using something like my Corsair H50, there is no air flow near there. They have a little plate you can remove and put a 50x50 on it but I haven't needed it yet.

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:20 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page Previous  1, 2

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: